- Many dispossessed peasants took to robbery and dacoity.
- Indigo Revolt of 1859-60
- By the end of 1860 indigo cultivation was virtually wiped out from the districts of Bengal
- A major reason for the success of the Indigo revolt was the tremendous initiative, cooperation, organization and discipline of the ryots.
- Another was the complete unity among Hindu and Muslim peasants
- Another significant feature was the role of intelligentsia of Bengal which organized a powerful campaign in support of the rebellious peasantry.
- The government’s response to the revolt was rather restrained and not as harsh as in the case of civil rebellions and tribal uprisings.
- The government appointed the Indigo Commission to enquire into the problems of indigo cultivation. The report of the commission exposed the coercion and corruption in indigo cultivation
- The government issued a notification in November 1960 that ryots could not be compelled to sow indigo and all disputes were to be settled by legal means.
ras free notes team will provide you in detailed notes for each topic of RAS RTS examination, please dont forget to subscribe RAS free notes for regular updates regarding RAS RTS Pre Examination Rajasthan Public Service Commission(RPSC), Ajmer. Here is RAS Pre GK, GS Paper 1 Solutions, Full Question Paper, Answer Key of RAS Pre Examination . For Results, Cut-Off Marks, Subject Papers. RAS Pre Question Paper Solutions. For More updates on RAS Pre 2012 Results Follow us on FACEBOOK OR GOOGLE+ For all Previous year RAS RTS Papers(1991-2012) visit: rasfreenotes.in RAS Exam Previous years Papers are completely solved along with sectional devision Ras RTS Mains exam .