In the arid and semi-arid zone of Rajasthan animal rearing is the primary occupation and source of livelihood.
Census of live stock states them to be 5.77 crore in number which accounts for 11.8% of Indian Animal population.
Rajasthan has largest number of goats, sheeps, camels and drought animals.
Density and Distribution of livestock in Rajasthan:-
- Overall density of livestock in the state is 169/km^2
- Districts with highest density:- Rajsamand>Dausa> Dungapur >Banswara>Sikar
- While the lowest density is recorded in Jaisalmer
- Very high density is recorded in the regions surrounding the Aravali hills
Cattle Rearing in Rajasthan
Rajasthan accounts for 6.89% of cattle and have both milk and drough breeds.
Breeds of cattle:-
- Nagauri:- Originated from sulakh region of Nagaur, is purely draught, ox are heavy load carriers
- Kankrej:- Western rajasthan, Dual Purpose Breed
- Tharpakar:- Malani region of Jaisalmer, milk Breed
- Rathi:- Jaisalmer and Gangnagar, Good in dairy but poor in draught condition
- Harayanvi:- Gangnagar,churu, Alwar and Tonk, Dual Porpose Breed
- Malvi:- Southern and south-eastern rajasthan, Draught breed
- Gir:- Ajmer,Good milk and draught breed
- Mewati:- Jhunjhunu and sikar, Dual purpose breed
- Sanchori:- Jalore,
Buffaloes:- its abundantly found in semi-arid and semi-humid regions of the state. two types of buffaloes
- Murrah:-Eastern districts of Rajasthan. Best breed
- Haryanvi:- border districts with Harayana. Inferior Breed
Sheep:- can survive on xerophytic plants with minimum water needs and thus is abundant in the arid regions of the state. Various breeds of sheep are:-
- Chokhla:- Shekhawati region, Produces 1-2kg wool
- Megra:- Jaisalmer, Bikaner, Pali and Nagaur ,Produces 5 kg wool
- Nali:- Bikaner, Hanumangarh and ganganagar, Produces 3-4 kg wool
- Marwari:- Arid and semi-arid regions, Produces 1-2 kg wool
- Pugal:- Bikaner, Produces 2 kg wool
- Jaisalmeri:- jaisalmer,Produces 3.5 kg wool
- Bagri:- Alwar, Dholpur and Bharatpur,
- Malpuri:- Tonk, Jaipur and Dosa
- Sonari:- Southern districts of Rajasthan, Produces 1.5 kg wool
Goats:- 216.66 Lakh in number, largest amongst domestic animals, various varities are:-
- Jamnapuri- upto 3 lt/day
- Barbari- upto 1.5 lt/day
- Jhalwari- upto 1 lt/day
Camels:- 3.26 lakhs in number, Various breeds of camel are:-
ras free notes team will provide you in detailed notes for each topic of RAS RTS examination, please dont forget to subscribe RAS free notes for regular updates regarding RAS RTS Pre Examination Rajasthan Public Service Commission(RPSC), Ajmer. Here is RAS Pre GK, GS Paper 1 Solutions, Full Question Paper, Answer Key of RAS Pre Examination . For Results, Cut-Off Marks, Subject Papers. RAS Pre Question Paper Solutions. For More updates on RAS Pre 2012 Results Follow us on FACEBOOK OR GOOGLE+ For all Previous year RAS RTS Papers(1991-2012) visit: rasfreenotes.in RAS Exam Previous years Papers are completely solved along with sectional devision Ras RTS Mains exam .