Management of public organisations is referred to as Public Management. The successful management of departments and agencies is an important factor for success of public policies and programs, of policy making, implementation and evaluation. Originated from the private sector, Public Management is an evolution of public administration which applies managerial techniques to increase the efficiency and effectiveness of public services. The transformation of public administrator to public manager is the major change that occurred in the public organisations. This is mainly due to the changes in expectations of many stake holders.
Major factors which have influenced the reforms in public sector were:
- over extended and unaffordable government;
- the mounting fiscal pressures on governments;
- the new shift in the role of government;
- questions raised by citizens and stakeholders about the optimum size of government;
- the global influences and the international environment;
- the increasing levels of citizen’s expectation;
- international and internal pressures and the research and learning from research institutes, academicians and researchers.
Most of the reforms in the public sector are based on theories of new institutional economics and managerial-ism. NPM reform has covered a wide range of subjects such as :-
- common agenda for all authors has been to make government effective and responsive to citizens’ demands.
- it involves disaggregation of large bureaucratic organizations into smaller compact organizations,
- focus on outputs rather than inputs,
- value for taxpayers’ money,
- authority devolved at the point of service delivery,
- customer responsiveness,
- introduction of competition in public service, and
- strengthened accountability and transparency.
Major elements and objectives of New dimensions of public management are:-
- Cost cutting; capping budgets and greater transparency in resource allocation;
- Disaggregating traditional bureaucratic organizations into separate agencies;
- Decentralized management within public agencies;
- Separating the function of providing for public services from their purchase;
- Establishing market and quasi-market mechanisms;
- Emphasizing performance management targets, indicators and output objectives;
- Introducing term contracts, performance-related pay and local determination of pay and conditions; and
- Increasing emphasis on service quality, standard setting and customer responsiveness.
Various steps taken by GOI in providing a New dimensions of public management as amanagement of change are as follows:-
- Organisational structure of the Government of India
- Ethics in governance
- Refurbishing of personnel administration
- Strengthening of financial management systems
- Steps to ensure effective administration at the State level
- Steps to ensure effective district administration
- Local self-government/Panchayati Raj institutions
- Social capital, trust and participative public service delivery
- Citizen-centric administration
- Promoting e-governance
- Issues of federal polity
- Crisis management
- Public order
RAS Free Notes is team of dedicated faculty to provide specific guidence for all the papers of RAS/RTS Prelims and RAS/RTS Mains examination.
Our mission to realise the truth of digital india by guiding the students for various exams of RPSC, specifically for RAS/RTS Prelims and RAS/RTS Mains examination.
We provide the following programs for students:-